Sure, my credit cards are overdrawn and my credit has been spiralling into the crapper for about two years now. Sure, I've missed some opportunities for work because of self-doubt in my technical abilities and anxiety about striking out as a private contractor and a general lack of confidence. Sure, I'm still not vegan and I don't recycle or compost as much as I used to or as much as I should. Sure, I've owed my parents money for over a year that I haven't been able to pay back and that eats me up for not being able to meet my financial obligation to them. Sure, I haven't resumed volunteering on any rape crisis lines.
- When I go back to work on Tuesday I'll be full-time with a considerable raise and benefits starting immediately
- I've gotten 2 industry certifications this year that I self-studied for and whose passing grades were rather steep
- I've seen my sister and nieces more than I have for a few years
- I've been reading more and that's something that's been languishing on my resolution lists for the past few years
- I've got 7 healthy pets that are lucky to have me and my partner as furmamas.
- I understand poverty a hell of a lot better than I ever did, and I think I'm privileged enough that this experience and knowledge will only benefit me in the future
- I've been more vocal in standing up for myself and asserting what I want and need and demand (see first bullet about the job - it's only because I negotiated these demands that I'm actually getting them)
- I've gotten a lot better at my job than I was even when I started back at the beginning of June
- I've been to several marches and rallies this year, and have just been activistical in other ways than in the past, such as with the Metrobus Strike and Slutwalk
- Of all the regrets I have from this past year, none of them outshine my pride in my accomplishments
I am so full of pride in my accomplishments. I'm not going to negate that statement with some hollow uttering of humility. I'm not going to apologize for being proud of myself, as I would have once done. I am proud of myself.
Golly, it feels good to have gotten to this point.
Next post will be a book review on The Girls of Planet 5. Because, omfg, that's why.
Happy New Year's Eve!